Derr Flooring Co. opened its doors in 1912 as the Derr Lumber Co. under the ownership of John Hartenstine Derr.
In 1928, the company merged with other distributors to become the Lumber and Millwork Company of Philadelphia.
Because of economic conditions created by the depression, John Derr left the Lumber & Millwork Co. in 1931 and reestablished the Derr name with the opening of Derr-Gibbons Supply Co. in early 1932. Joined by his son Chester and 2 other employees, the company began distributing wood flooring and other lumber products.
John Derr remained involved in the company's success until his death in November 1970. His son Chester Derr, continued his fathers tradition by overseeing the company's continual growth until his death in 2000.
Under the leadership of Chester Derr and his son Chester Derr, Jr. the company has enjoyed consistent growth over the past twenty-five years. In 1980, Derr Flooring Company had one location in Philadelphia and employed 25 people. Today the company employs over 150 people and operates 6 warehouses in 4 states. Forty-five vehicles deliver material to customers in W. Virginia, Delaware, New Jersey, New York, Maryland, Connecticut, Pennsylvania and Virginia.
One of the leading wood flooring distributors, Derr Flooring Co. has diversified its product offerings over the last 30 years to include commercial and residential sheet vinyl, commercial and residential vinyl composition tile, wood treads, risers and other stair components, laminate flooring, rubber and vinyl flooring and their corresponding finish and installation accessories.
Five members of the fourth generation of the Derr family are actively involved in various aspects of the business. They range in service from six to twenty-five years.
With quality products to distribute and a growing customer base, the next generation of family members are poised to continue the company's growth through their 100th anniversary.