Petri Plumbing & Heating, Brooklyn's leading residential home service company, has created a series of tips to help homeowners prepare their homes prior to going out of town for the holidays. The holidays are also vacation times for many families. Petri owner Michael Petri offers suggestions on how to condition a house for extended periods of absence.
"With the holidays quickly approaching, families will be traveling out of town leaving their homes susceptible to damage from water leaks, attempted burglaries and even fire," Petri notes. "Fortunately, there are a few easy things that a homeowner can do to protect their homes while they're away."
Here are some suggestions that Petri says are important to consider when your home will be empty for a few days:
- Put your water heater on vacation mode – If you have a gas water heater, you can turn the dial to vacation mode. The pilot light will remain on, but you'll save the cost of unnecessary heating. If your water heater is electric, turn the temperature down or turn it off at the circuit breaker panel.
- Notify home security company – If you have a home security alarm, notify the monitoring company that you will be away.
- Turn thermostat temperature down – During the fall and winter months, set your thermostat to 55 degrees. This will help eliminate the risk of your pipes freezing. Another idea is to use a Wi-Fi thermostat that will allow you to control the temperature remotely.
- Unplug electronics – Unplug any and all electronics from your home before going out of town. This will reduce the chance of fire while you are away and reduce the amount of energy used.
- Put your lights on a timer – Do not leave your lights on 24/7. That signals that no one is home. Use a timer to turn the lights on and off throughout the day.
- Turn off the main water valve that leads into the house. If a water pipe should suddenly burst while you are away from home, you could suffer extensive damage without anyone even knowing.
- Curtains – Should you close the curtains or leave them open? You may decide to close your curtains to prevent people from seeing inside your house. However, leave your curtains the same as you usually keep them when you're home, since noticeable changes could hint that you're not around, especially if your curtains are uncharacteristically left closed for a week.
- Do not overshare on social media – Don't share your date of departure on social media. Why make yourself an easy target by telling the world that there's no one at home?
For Brooklyn-area homeowners who want extra advice about preparing a home for vacation, Petri Plumbing & Heating can help with additional suggestions as well as a variety of home improvement needs. For more information, please call Petri Plumbing & Heating, Inc. at 718-748-1254 or go to www.petriplumbing.com.
About Petri Plumbing and Heating, Inc.
Petri Plumbing and Heating, Inc. is a family owned and operated business serving Brooklyn and the New York City area. Founded in 1906, the company offers a 100 percent guarantee on all services, upfront pricing, and friendly and knowledgeable Service Experts for all kinds of home and business plumbing and heating needs. Services offered include water and gas pipe leak repair and installation, fixture installations, inspections, boiler repair, water heater installation, complete bathroom, kitchen, laundry & utility room remodeling and more. Petri is also licensed and certified by Green Plumbers USA, the first in New York City to receive this designation. For more information, please visit www.petriplumbing.com or call 718-748-1254.